It’s very easy to blame everything on fibro, but it’s important to remember that when we age, we will get more aches and pains, we will feel more fatigued. With fibro those aches and pains WILL feel more painful, as that is what the condition does. You can more here about his fibro impacts ageing.
My husband has a good way of keeping me in check; he explains that are we had been on a day out, he sometimes feels achy and tired, which makes me feel better as it’s natural (especially when not exercising) to feel stiff and sore a lot, your muscles aren’t getting used as they should be. He also explains that if I don’t move much I will still hurt, so I might as well go out and at least do something.
The reasons why I hurt post holiday can be attributed to the following:-
- Poor food choices; eating sugary, rich food.
- Overeating and gaining weight; I gained 10 pounds in 14 days; most of this will be water retention from the food.
- Drinking alcohol including cocktails (sugary).
- Doing more activities.
- Sitting in uncomfortable chairs for too long a period.
- The sun and heat.
- The cabins were cleaned twice a day; so I suspect exposure to chemicals in an enclosed area.
- Flying – jetlag
I am sure there are others. It takes me about 5-7 days to recover. Plus as I’m in so much pain and my fatigue and sleep is poor, I am not moving around much; this affects my back and neck pain, increases muscle stiffness and fibro type muscle pain. You can read more about the effect on fibro with holidays here.
I will not becoming immobile it stop having holidays, I just need to be sensible.
Bear these things in mind; these are what I have found that flare up my fibro:-
- Flying over time zones of more than 2 hours time difference.
- Flying anywhere as cannot queue, painful to sit, food is poor in airport and on planes.
- Too much heat and sun.
- Poor food and drink choices
- Exposure to chemicals (cleaning products are the worst).
- Not pacing activities. Doing too much.
- Not going to bed and waking up at set times, sleeping less hours.
- Carrying luggage and bags.
I could go on………
Cruising for me is ideal, you don’t have to fly or you can just fly home. Everything you need is onboard, you don’t have to go out on the stops if you feel ill. I also shaved up for premium seats which were brilliant.
I cannot ever see me doing a package holiday again, it just makes me too ill afterwards. I also cannot stand the heat anymore, sunburn with fibro is excruciating, it’s like scolding your skin with boiling water and makes you feel like you have the flu……….
So what can you do when you return…….
- Increase water intake
- Eat fresh as much as possible
- Reduce or ditch caffeine
- No drinking alcohol.
- Increase daily walks or exercise by 5 minutes each day, after 2nd day of total rest.
- Short term use of painkillers I.e. 3 days!!
- Re-establish set times for going to bed and waking up.
- Slowly unpack luggage and ask for help with washing and ironing.
It’s been 5 days since I returned home; I lost a nights sleep on the flight, am in agony from sitting too long on the plane. My fibro is bad due to exhaustion from walkingtoo much, heat and sun, plus poor choices in food and drinks. I am now back on a fresh diet, no alcohol, reduced caffeine intake. Rested for 4 days, now increasing movement. I am very positive as I know this will pass and it has been worth it to get the memories I now have. Fibro will not stop me from having a life, I just have to work with it and not against it. It will always be with me, my body needs a friend right now and I am going to look after it as much as I can.