When I was growing up I ate whatever was thrown in front of me not giving much thought as to what was in the food or how it made me feel. When we are young our bodies can take so much abuse it’s unreal. Read this article here for an insight into food and it’s affects on fibromyalgia.
When I got older I started to feel sluggish and started to get hangovers but still carried on eating whatever I wanted, luckily I love vegetables so these were high up on my menu. When I split up with my first husband who only ever ate convenience foods and had a few run ins with family over feeding my daughter packaged, processed foods it was like a lightbulb going off in my head. Not only was I eating ‘shit’ food but so was my daughter.
When I met my new husband he already had a taste for good food our diet improved but it still wasn’t great. After I had a fall at work, my back problems got worse and after a second fall and my second disc falling to bits I had to take drastic action. By this point I’d started to ditch milk for alternatives, I ditched bread, white products such as rice, bread, pasta and potatoes switching for healthier options. But it wasn’t until after my fusion and I developed fibromyalgia as my body never recovered from the major surgery that I really changed.
Things I changed:-
- Only 1 coffee ☕️ and before 7am with a milk substitute but not soya read why here
- Ramped up my water consumption to 3/4 litres a day
- Introduced herbal teas, not fruit (contains sugar) but chamomile and peppermint etc
- Dropped fruit to the occasional one off banana and occasional treat (again contain sugars) read why here
- Reduced consumption of red meat
- Don’t eat rice or pasta but eat substitutes
- Went organic as much as possible
- Quit sugar, if I want a sweetener I use organic honey
- Do not eat bread unless Rye Omega
- I don’t eat sweets or cakes unless made with natural ingredients
- I bake my own treats using organic natural ingredients why? Read here
- I do not drink alcohol 🍺 it’s just not worth alcohol neuropathy. Learn more here
- I do not drink fizzy drinks at all or aspartame if you do then you need to STOP read why here
Now you might be thinking we’ll what can I eat then? There are loads of foods you just need to be creative try things you have never eaten before. Plus you need to keep a food diary. Important things to add are:-
- What you eat?
- How you feel before you ate?
- How you feel half hour after you eat?
It’s that simple! I did this for about 3 months and by following that list above this is why I have less pain, more energy, I sleep 5-6 hours a night not 3-4
Other routines I establish from what I learnt from my food diary are:-
- I started to get ill if I didn’t eat every 2-3 hours. Once past that 3 hour mark and up to 4 I hurt all over, feel like I have flu, cannot concentration and get a massive headache.
- I have to eat within an hour of waking up or I get the same symptoms above
- I cannot eat within 3 hours of going to bed or I cannot sleep (nervous system is far too overactive)
- I have to eat smaller more regular meals. If I eat big meals I feel sluggish and sometimes have to go to bed, I have even vomited before
It is up to you at the end of the day if you continue to eat the wrong foods and be stubborn about it you will continue to feel unwell 🤒. If you have a family you need to sit them down and have an honest conversation about your health and how they support you. I love my husband but he knows how ill I get if I don’t stick to my plan and quite frankly if he did not support me he would be leaving by the front door, that’s how serious I am about getting my life back on track!!
You have to put yourself first or what good are you to anyone constantly ill, always having to go to bed, not have a social life, not being well enough to work.
Many of you will have or are going through the ‘why me’ overthinking and that needs to be resolved to move on. I have been there. I now accept this condition and I’m learning to live with it. I’m not going to spend the next 20/30 years of my life waiting to die.
This site is amazing and I beg you to follow it here
Follow my blog to get direct messages into your email inbox where you could read, research and make up your own mind about my tips. But remember if it works for one, it can work for you!