I average around 4 hours sleep every night which when I get in the number 5 is a cause for celebration in this house 💐. I have a pretty good routine:-
- A hot bath with magnesium flakes and organic bubbles
- No tv for a minimum of 1 hour before bed.
- If I use my phone to update my Facebook page and blog I wear my uv glasses.
- I only have one coffee before 7am
- I don’t drink alcohol
- I keep my room well ventilated with a temperature of around 19 degrees
- My curtains are black and my walls painted dark
- I wear ear plugs so no noise can wake me up
- I sleep naked so I am not restricted by clothes
- I never eat at least 2 hours before bed
- I mindfully meditate daily before bed and every other day I undertake mindfulness yoga
- I have a lavender plant in my bedroom and place some fresh inside my pillow each night
- I don’t drink water too close to bed so as not to wake in the night for the bathroom
- I have no switched on electrical items in the bedroom
I think that I have a pretty strict routine before bed and I really do feel that this has helped me wake up over the past 3 months feeling more refreshed than I have done in the previous 2 years. But when it gets to about the 5th day of only have 3-4 hours sleep 15-20 hours in total over a working week I start to lose the will to live. I cannot concentrate, I’m tired, have no energy, my cognitive behaviour starts to suffer. I hate everyone and everything. The fake smiles I have to put on at work, people asking me if I’m ok and I nod and say yeah I’m great (when all I want to do is shout out loud NO I AM FUCKING NOT!).
I do know that if I could ramp up my exercise and tire myself out more I’d sleep better, but how can I do that when I exercise then I literally struggle to go to work. Pacing ah yes good old pacing. I’m logging down what I do, how I feel etc but each day is different from the next which makes things a little difficult to track. Some days I can sit for hours others minutes before I get pain.
I feel like I’m having some sort of mental crash, possibly from coming off citalopram and Amitryptyline? Delayed reaction? I’ve been off them 2 weeks.
Does anyone know of how I can get more sleep without resorting to regular medications? Am I missing some vital information?